“Local swimmers” – photo courtesy https://www.instagram.com/jasonkmclean/
With the holiday season well and truly upon us now, we’ve been thinking about how best to spend these warmer months in some of our favourite locations on the Tweed Coast. If you’re currently searching for things to do and places to see in the local area this summer, here are just a few of our top picks to add to the list!
Casuarina and Salt Village
The usually quieter seaside suburbs of Casuarina and Salt Village are buzzing with energy during the holiday season. With pristine beaches and tasty local eateries just a short bike ride away from any street in the neighbourhood, there’s no better way to spend the Christmas break.
- Early mornings by the ocean and passionate games of beach cricket are a staple for the holiday season in Casuarina! Gather the troops together and stake out your spot on any of our beautiful beaches for a long, lazy day in the sun.
- Get the bikes out for a blissful ride down to our popular local eateries Black Oak and Osteria for great coffee and fresh, seasonal food.
- Unwind in the afternoon with a beverage in hand and the smooth sounds of live music at the Salt Bar, overlooking the lush gardens at Central Park.
- Stroll down to the Salt Village markets on the 3rd Saturday of every month for food trucks, fashion stalls and local homewares.
- Treat yourself to an Asian-inspired dinner at Spice Den restaurant underneath Santai resort, or experience the incredible seafood menu on offer at multi award winning Fins restaurant at the Salt retail precinct.
- Indulge in a gourmet pastry, gateaux or croissant from the newly opened French Patisserie at Salt Village, with all goods baked fresh on site.
The bustling beachfront town of Kingscliff is known best for its eclectic retail strip, beautiful beaches and of course, the creek! With so much on offer for both locals and visitors, it’s easy to see why many out-of-towners are turning to Kingscliff as a popular holiday destination during the Christmas season.
- The Cudgen creek is the perfect way to spend summer days with family and friends! With the Watersports Guru offering kayaks and stand up paddleboards for hire, you can easily spend an entire day relaxing by the water.
- Kingscliff’s retail strip is filled with boutique clothing outlets, gift stores and trendy restaurants and cafes. For delicious takeaway coffee, try Choux Box, Mockingbird cafe, or the newly opened Salt Mill for your morning brew. For something more substantial, grab a table at the Kingscliff Beach Hotel for a relaxed pub feed, or book in for dinner at sophisticated Greek eatery Taverna.
- The much-loved Cinemax cinemas are open 7 days a week, showcasing a range of art-house movies for a unique cinema experience.
- Check out the new Pop-Up Bar event happening at the Kingscliff bowls club from December 8th, as you wind down with live music and gourmet food trucks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.
- Tweed Coast Church host their Christmas Spectacular on December 10, with shows at 10am, 5pm and 7pm.
The small coastal village of Cabarita offers so much to explore during the holiday season, from breathtaking ocean lookouts to secluded beach pockets. With plenty of markets and events planned for Christmas, this seaside town is sure to come alive over summer.
- Norries Headland is an absolute must-visit during the Christmas holidays. Experience panoramic ocean views from the top of the headland, or enjoy a swim or two at Little Cove Beach. With several local takeaway joints to grab an easy dinner (take your pick from Japanese, Thai or classic fish and chips), why not bring the picnic blankets and camp chairs down for a relaxed afternoon with the family.
- The Cabarita Beach Christmas festival is set to take place on the 2nd December at Pandanus Parade, with food trucks, markets and activities for the whole family, along with fireworks to wrap up the night.
- Experience sophisticated beachfront cuisine at Paper Daisy restaurant at the boutique hotel Halcyon House, a super chic spot to visit for afternoon cocktails or a leisurely and delicious lunch.
- Gather a group together for barefoot bowls at the Cabarita bowls club, and enjoy an icy cold beverage or two – the perfect Sunday afternoon!
The iconic seaside town of Pottsville is fast emerging as a must-visit holiday destination, attracting many visitors due to its unique village charm. From trendy boutiques to incredible local restaurants, there’s plenty to take advantage of during this holiday season.
- Plan a day spent in the sunshine at beautiful Mooball creek, with crystal clear water and plenty of secluded fishing spots at your disposal.
- Stroll through the local village for an array of quaint cafes like Pottsville Pantry and Corner Stop Espresso Bar, and browse through a selection of boutique stores offering everything from fashion to homewares and gifts.
- Visit the local Pottsville beach markets, which take place on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month from 7.30am. The markets are filled with seasonal produce, quirky craft stores, plants, fresh food and more – a great way to start the morning.
- Try your hand at the challenging 9-hole Pottsville golf course, situated just a short drive out from the town centre along Pottsville road.
- Wind down the afternoon with a beverage at local favourites, Pottsville Tavern or Pottsville Sports Club. Or, for a delicious dinner, we can’t go past the exquisite Japanese menu at Izakaya Potts!
The small waterfront village of Fingal lends itself perfectly to holidaymakers wanting a relaxed, low-key getaway during the Christmas season. Known best for its lighthouse and incredible rocky headland, we love the quiet charm that exudes from this seaside town during summer.
- Explore the Fingal headland with one of the walking tracks that weave around Dreamtime beach and Leticia split, for amazing ocean views and picturesque natural surroundings.
- Take a short walk down to local cafe Sheoak Shack, for delicious coffee and a bite to eat. You can sit back and relax amongst quirky interiors, an adjoining art gallery, and live music every Saturday afternoon.
- Book in for a snorkeling or scuba diving session at Cook Island, located just 600m offshore from Fingal Head. Here you’ll explore an array of unique marine life, including turtles, bull rays, tropical fish and leopard sharks.
- Pack a picnic basket and snag a spot along the bank for uninterrupted waterfront views. With plenty of fishing spots dotting their way down the river, you can easily spend hours enjoying everything Fingal has to offer.
With no shortage of incredible areas to explore and things to do this holiday season, it’s safe to say we’re looking forward to another amazing summer on the Tweed Coast. From relaxed mornings strolling through markets, to long days lazing by the beach and nights out at our local restaurants – we can’t think of a better place to spend this Christmas break!